Departments of Electrical Engineering and Engineering Physics, Polytechnique Montreal TRANSMEDTECH - Optical design and manufacturing specialist
We are seeking an optical design and manufacturing specialist to support the development of new medical devices and the conduct of clinical studies at multiple sites in the Montreal area. The ideal candidate must have strong interpersonal skills, experience working in optical design and fabrication, and have capacity to operate, calibrate and troubleshoot laser-based medical systems.
- Design, validate and test optical devices for tissue/biofluid characterization according to target performances, cost and reliability requirements
- Responsible for a common optical instrumentation development infrastructure for multiple translational projects
- Assist students, postdoctoral fellows and other researchers in the design of optical instruments
- Design and fabricate fibered medical tools such as miniaturized optical probes, as well as intraoperative imagers integrated with standard surgical instruments (e.g. laparoscopes, endoscopes, surgical microscope)
- Establish and maintain a comprehensive and detailed understanding of instrument specifications and requirements
- Lead instrument design and development planning activities, including establishing development timelines and resource requirements
- Participate actively in the design of both hardware and software components of prototypes
- Interact closely with multiple research teams for design, production and delivery of new optical systems
- Develop and implement testing protocols and supervise technical staff involved
- Continuously improve processes and procedures for fabrication and testing, and implement monitoring systems where applicable and beneficial
- Monitor, document and communicate advancements and raise potential issues that may have influence on target specs, schedule and budget
- Contribute to the design and conduct of clinical studies by managing all aspects pertaining to ethics protocols and consent forms
- Bachelors Degree in Physics, Electrical engineering or Physics Engineering. Masters’ degree or PhD in optics, or related discipline is strongly preferred
- Experience and core expertise with optical technologies for medical applications
- Hands-on engineering and project management experience in optical based medical devices
- Experience with programming and tissue light transport simulations
- Experience in ray tracing analysis using simulation software
- Expertise with the design and fabrication of fiber optics devices (couplers, endoscopes, catheters)
- Understands the importance of utilizing fundamental engineering principles in instrument development and embeds best practices, critical thinking to ensure quality and excellence in system development is achieved
- Excellent communication skills. Proficiency in English is a plus
- Strong time-management and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and to provide effective leadership in a team environment
This role will be based at Polytechnique Montreal (Québec, Canada).
Full-time/regular (40 hrs/week).
Important note regarding equity:
The TransMedTech Institute supports an Equal Opportunity Program and encourages women, members of visible and ethnic minorities, Aboriginal people and persons with disabilities to apply. Accommodations may be available to people with disabilities based on their characteristics.
Interested qualified candidates should apply by sending resume to email@example.com. We thank all applicants, however only those under consideration will be contacted.